Monday, March 24, 2014

DNFing on the BRR (Big Ring Randonée)


The day started out a bit iffy: I turned on the Garmin … and the course was NOT there.  Turns out I had merely downloaded it to my computer, but not to the Garmin device itself.  Sigh.  Oh well, the cue sheet looked pretty impressive … so HOW could anything go wrong?

My other issue was lack of training.  I’d actually been riding frequently, of late, but had kind of omitted the distance thing.  My longest ride this year was the previous Saturday: 38 whopping miles.

Somewhat to my relief, things were going OK.  It was a fairly flat course and there is a LOT to be said for that.  My cruising speed, which has started to suck in recent years, had not improved, but it hadn’t got much worse, either.  I was staying ahead of Rando pace.

All of this changed at mile 52 when I arrived at a T and encountered these cues:

0.4 52.0 Continue straight onto Sweet Rd
1.7 53.7 Continue onto Hughes Ave
0.2 53.9 Turn left onto Bell Rd
0.4 54.3 Continue onto US-99/WA-548 S/Blaine Rd

“Continue” – an interesting choice of words.  Left FELT correct; right made more geographical sense.

I opted for left.  I crossed I-5 without seeing any signs for Hughes.  Immediately after I-5 was the correct turn.  I don’t recall noticing it, however, nor any sign for Bell Rd.  I continued on, shortly arriving at US-99/WA-548 S/Blaine Rd.  Sadly, it WAS signed: Peace Portal Dr.  Sigh-o-rama.

All of this convinced me that I had turned the WRONG way at the T.  So, I biked all of the way back (uphill) and continued in the other direction (very STEEP uphill).  Then the road turned left (unsigned) and continued UP.  I wondered about doing THIS in the big ring.

Eventually the road Teed at H Street, which was a big descent into the heart of Blaine.  This did NOT do my morale much good, especially because it had now started to rain.  I continued west until I hit the water.  I knew I need to be south, so I turned that direction.  I stopped at a store and asked directions.  They told me to continue south.

I came across Hughes, I came across Bell.  I arrived at the control: 10 extra miles (and not FLAT ones, either, sigh). 

I was ~25 minutes in the hole.  I had a quick snack and continued.

By the next control, to my disappointment, I had only gained TWO minutes.  My legs were feeling tired, and my cruising speed was not what it needed to be to overcome the deficit.

A bit before Ferndale it was time to turn lights on and put on rain gear.

At the Loomis Trail Road info control it was time to advance to the last page of my cue sheet.  But wait: somehow that page was gone!  I phoned Dan Turner, explaining I was going to be the big Hors but could he please dictate the cues for me and I would write them down.  Dan graciously complied, then suggested he come and get me.

I pondered his offered … especially thinking about having to drive home, get a little bit of sleep, and get myself to Mercer Island for the half marathon.  I accepted!

I biked on and Dan and I encountered each other in Lynden.  I had put in 122 miles and felt OK.

I got home at 00:20.

The next morning I made it to Mercer Island OK, having taken two buses (getting to the start of this run, by ANY mode, truly sucks, so busing isn't too bad).  

My legs were tired, at the gun, but they were moving.  It wasn’t until ~ mile 10.5 that they seemed to have turned into lead weights.  But, I finished.  And, it was a gorgeous day.


And a pretty good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment